There are a lot of distinct criteria that one need to follow before choosing the best domain name for a blog or a company.
- Before you kick start a domain search, first thing to keep in mind is to have 5 terms or phrases in mind that best describes your industry. Once you keep the list ready you can pair them or add phrases or words to it to create a best suitable domain name.
- Never choose a domain that is related to a popular site owned by someone else, like using the plural form or using the hyphenated form or misspelled version of a famous website. This practice could end up in dividing the traffic thus making you suffer a huge loss.
- Always choose a .com website name. People generally have the presumption that a website would invariably have only a .com registration.
- A best domain name is something which people can remember easily and type in easily. If you choose a tough name then people cannot pass it to their friends through word of mouth. Always choose a short name. They also allow more characters in the URL in the SERPs and fits better on business cards and other offline media.
- A domain name that describes your business is the best way to attract people. On hearing your domain name people should be able to instantly and accurately guess what service you provide on your website.
- Avoid Copyright Infringement. Though this is not a mistake that is done often, but this could kill your domain when a company does this. In order to make sure that you are not infringing on anyone’s copyright visit copyright.gov and do a search before making the payment.
- This is a mistake that isn’t made too often, but can kill a great domain and a great company when it does. To be sure you’re not infringing on anyone’s copyright with your site’s name, visit copyright.gov and search before you buy.
- A good domain name doesn’t carry hyphens and numbers. Spelled out numbers or roman numerals in domains are confusing and difficult to memorize.
- Websites like Domjax make it easy to check the availability of a domain name – just remember that you don’t have to buy through these services. You can find a name you like that’s available, then go to your registrar of your choice and register the best domain names.